Jam-jar style stamps are around a lot right now. I got this stamp set for under £6 from Amazon – 3 different styles of jar plus labels!
All I knew when I began this card was that I wanted a Distress Ink background. Everything else was completely spontaneous!
Don’t be put off by a slightly higher price – there are so many techniques for Distress Inks. They react with water to create some cool effects. My way of creating a water-stained background is very simple – I just use my blending tool to cover the paper in the ink, keeping it darkest at the bottom by packing on more ink there, and then a paintbrush to flick droplets of water over it.
You can leave it to dry or dab the droplets with a tissue, which I do because I’m impatient. Once you’re happy, use a heat tool to help it along. It won’t be sopping wet so you can still work with it, but make sure it’s dry before moving on.
(You get the clean edge around the background by securing it with masking tape before you start inking. Make sure you take away some of the tape’s stickiness first so it doesn’t tear the paper when peeling off.)
I stamped a jar on white card as well as vellum, embossed them with clear powder and then fussy-cut them both out. This just means cutting them out with scissors rather than coordinating dies (as far as I know there aren’t any coordinating dies for these stamps).
The reason I used vellum was because I was thinking of making a shaker card. The end result doesn’t really shake but I like the fact that the card has a little pouch with things in it. You could always write a message to your loved one and put that in the jar for them to pull out.
I put very thin double-sided tape around the edge of the vellum jar. Because it’s so thin, you can’t really see the adhesive at all. I didn’t put any at the top so I could drop sequins into the jar rather than it being completely sealed up. It’s too compact for the sequins to fall out.
i also die-cut some gold hearts but they were too big for the shaker, so I stuck one on the front of the jar and used tweezers to tease the one in the jar into a position where you can still tell it’s a heart. I felt something was missing so tied some white cotton around the top of the jar in a bow.
Finally I stuck it on the front and stamped my sentiment in Versamark clear ink and embossed with silver powder.
I’m really pleased with this card and am going to try to experiment more with shakers. Let me know what you think!
Crafty Impressions A6 Jars and Labels stamps –
Tim Holtz Distress Ink in “peacock feathers” –
Papermania vellum paper pad –
Lawn Fawn “My Silly Valentine” stamps –
Versamark watermark ink pad –
Ranger blending tool –